Deep Bass Tuning, was Re: Tuning Notes

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:21:14 -0400

Anyone mind if I re-title this thread?

At 11:21 PM -0700 10/19/04, David Andersen wrote:
>Please tell me, my delightfully-named internet friend,

I love it. A staid New Englander being envied for his internet
moniker by a Southern Californian. Jenneetah is the name of the
80,000-year Incan High Priestess whom I'm channeling, but there are
plenty of people signing into chat rooms and mailing lists with
made-up names. It's like Halloween 52/28. So you live out in LA and
*don't* have a power-spirit to channel? <G>

>what in the HELL a
>10:5 octave is.

These ratios are a way of describing interval relationships in terms
of the coincidental partials involved. Ric B laid it out. But David,
with great respect for  you and your work, this nomenclature is
nothing you need in your toolbox. You're doing fine as is.

>I am but a humble analog and right-brain listener and tuner.

Myself as well. Although I came to piano tuning 30+ years ago with a
good working knowledge of harmony and strong relative pitch, and thus
discovered coincidental partials early on.

At 2:40 PM -0700 10/18/04, David Andersen wrote:
>Oooohhhhh, a huge can of worms.

My comment on the 10:5 octave in the first octave was more
complicated than it appeared and was designed to spring loose further
discussion as to the trade-off between zero-beating lower and louder
octave relationships, vs. higher but busier ones.

At the beginning of the summer, I had moved from a pure 6:3 in the
single strings of the Bs at two of my concert stages, to a 10:6.
Obviously this put some motion in the 2:1 octaves in that very bottom
end of the keyboard, which to my ears was acceptable, and didn't
cause anyone else's ears to stumble until that Ravel trio with its
slow single octaves showed up on the program. My reason for slowing
down the higher octave relationship at the bottom, was to better
integrate those high partials with their coincidental partials in the
middle of the piano.

As Jenneetah would say, May the Force Be with You, My 21st Century Friend.