tuning 'notes'

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 23:36:26 -0700

> The actual difference is that you choose to make a tuning without the help of
> an ETD and I have chosen for another approach.
Precisely.
> I absolutely believe that your tuning is of the highest possible quality and I
> admire your professional standpoint.
Coming from you, I treasure that.

> I on the other hand have chosen for an electronic marvel for several reasons :
> a. I have really tuned too many piano's the old way (I have told here before
> that I started doing 7 piano's a day for my boss and almost always t least 1
> or more for my self on that very same day).
> b. I now do not tune so many piano's a day anymore, maybe 1 or 2, that's all,
> except for festivals like the North Sea Jazz.
> c. After Having reached my personal tuning zenith at the Yamaha Academy, I
> knew what the most perfect ET tuning in the world sounded like.
> d. I then found my wizard box, which gives me that very same tuning.
> e. I can make a really gorgeous tuning, with the help of that box, in 45
> minutes (or less).
> f. I no longer have to concentrate on making da puzzle you like to make.
> g. instead I focus on making tone with unisons because the basis has been laid
> already.
> h. In doing so, I don't experience any stress caused by for instance a
> 'difficult' instrument and my customers feel my ease and confidence and are
> more than convinced by the result.

Perfect! Bravo. My dear friend, any speculation or opinion I proffer is
always open to discussion and change; but the only way I'll really, really
GET what you say---that your tuning is as good as my tuning---<g>---it's
funny, but that's the real bottom line---is to hear it with my head stuck in
the piano you just tuned.

  SO: we need to be at the same place, at the same time, and each tune the
same piano, and let the fun begin. Maybe I can think of a way to make that
happen out here in fabulous SoCal...

All piano wizards, "piano whisperers," have their own highly individualistic
ways to get to the same beauty.  I say, thank God for that. What a
delightfully messy and nuanced situation. Although I will say that there are
also great similarities in the true wizards of piano that I have met, and
the biggest one is a truly fresh and eternal love for the work.

Thanks, Andre'. I save almost all your posts.

Best,

David Andersen