4'10" (147 cm) Henry F. Miller scale

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:15:05 -0500

>>Ron NThanks Ron.  So for singly wound you just use O.D. = 2*wrap+core?No
>>wierd distortions from twisting the windings or anything?Is there an easy
>>way to figure the double wrapped strings?-Mark

Hi Mark,
Wrapping the copper around the core flattens (ovals) it by about 5%, so you
have to allow for that by starting with a wrap wire of about 5% bigger than
diameter-core/2, or at least the string maker does. Same with the outer
wrap over the inner in double wrapped strings to end up with the target
overall diameter. I use a inner/outer wrap (wire size) ratio of about 1/3.
Conklin says at least 1/2.

Ron N