Smoother 10ths and good octaves.

Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:10:47 +0100

If by smoother you mean slower then try the following.

use your Sat in the direct reference mode that Bill Bremmer used to talk
about. I dont own a SAT so I dont know how it works.. but the idea is to
start at about D4/D3.  Have the ETD read the 3rd partial of D4 so that
you are zeroed in on that. Then tune D3 slightly (and I mean slightly)
sharp of that reading.  The basic idea is to get  a 6:3 octave that is
barely narrow, with a 4:2  slightly wide.  Aurally, both the inside
minor 3rd test and the outside maj 3rd / 10th should match as best as
possible. This gives nice slow rolling 10ths in the bass whilst
maintaining a consistant octave progression downwards.  Should work very
well on a small Yamaha Grand.

Never seen a C5 by the way... we get C2's C3's  C6's and C7's over here.

Cheers
RicB