yamaha wire is metric..OT

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:11:42 -0500

>So if there are no strings available to mic, the sense i'm getting from
>these posts, is that the scale indications on the long bridge are
>basically useless? The Travis book, "A guide to restringing" lists the
>EXACT SAME scale (for yamaha G1 (J)) as found on the very same piano's
>long bridge. So does that mean you would NOT drop 1/2 size, but simply
>duplicate the actual sizes indicated, when using American Standard wire?
>
>Terry Peterson

No, they aren't useless. You know the wire used was metric, and if you
don't know if the wire you have is metric or not, you can find out. Try
micing a few against the chart and seeing what you get. Then string the
piano with the closest equivalent you have for each indicated gage. It may
offend our tender sensibilities, but I guarantee you that a whole lot of
pianos that were originally strung with wire gages of one system have been
restrung by direct substitution of wire gage size from the other system
with the restringer not ever being aware of the difference.

If you're really interested in knowing the result of your decisions on wire
sizing, set up a spreadsheet and see the differences for yourself in
tension between the correct system and the substitute.

Ron N