Downbearing - Setting with a loose board

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:14:35 -0500

>Do you think that the results obtained using the pre-load method are (or
>can be)  equivalent to the method you describe?

Yes, I do, but nothing is guaranteed. Whatever method you use, it will be
an experienced judgement call and different people will get different
results following what looks like similar methods.

>Is there a significant advantage to your method?   Is there a way you
>factor in differences in panel flexibility?  What are stringing pillows?
>
>RonN - I know you said you "have" employed this method, which I interpret
>to mean you may use others as well.

Not everything I string has one of my soundboard designs in it. I pre-load
too.  Calculation obviously works best on one's own new rib crowned and
supported designs, where pre-loading works best on hybrid rib and panel
supported, compression crowned, board assemblies produced by someone else
by unknown processes, and original boards. While you can certainly pre-load
rib crowned and supported boards, you can't realistically calculate
deflections on any of the other types.

Ron N