Replacing Key Pins

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:39:02 -0700

Ron N. said: ">I recommend a "dent puller" type system, for removing.

That's what I use. A slide hammer with Vise-Grip.

>After they're out, glue size with 50-50 cold hide glue & water.

Titebond works fine too.

>Let dry. (overnight, if possible.) I made two punches for inserting the =

>pins, out of steel rod. Drill to the approximate depth, then grind to =
fine=20
>tune the height of the pins.

Except that when you find the pins are different heights on the next =
piano.=20
That's why I use scrap maple. I cut a piece to the length of the height =
of=20
the pin, and cut a channel out of the side with the band saw so I can =
slip=20
it around the pin from the side, and hammer the pin in until it's level=20
with the block. Very like the dowel idea that was posted. Also, I do it=20
when the Titebond sizing is still soft. The pin goes in easier, which is =

easier on the plating, and doesn't mushroom the top, and is just as =
solid=20
the next day as waiting for the glue to dry before driving the pins.

>Of course, you'll need a drill press w/"x-y" vise for accuracy.

Nonsense! If you want to drill a hole in the center of a rod for a =
punch,=20
chuck the rod in the drill press, the bit in a drill press vise, and =
lower=20
the spinning rod onto the bit. Do it gently, and it will self center =
more=20
accurately than you are ever going to get it with a cross feed vise. =
Come=20
on, Joe. Machinists have been doing this for at least 150 years. It's =
about=20
time we stole the idea for our own use.

Ron N

Ron,
Glad to see you've incorporated the Vise Grip with the Dent Puller! Been =
using it for years.<G>
I've never liked the Titebond for sizing holes. It takes eons to really =
get hard. Whereas, Cold Hide glue 50-50 w/water has served me well. Just =
different strokes.....=20
The reason I use a punch/hammer, instead of hammering and guage system, =
is that the human foible of dinging the top of the pin is more common =
with klutzes like me. However, you are correct, in that the height of =
various pins does vary! Good point, that the newbies need to know. In =
reality, I use both systems. Still like the punch for driving, tho.<G>
As for the x-y table/vise, Yes you are correct, you can put the stock in =
the chuck and the drill in the vise! I've used this many times. A =
brain-fart, on my part!<G> The only if's are: if your chuck is large =
enough for the rod. if, you have some kind of vise to hold the drill bit =
in proper alignment and is adjustable....... It's just so much fun =
re-inventing things, isn't it?!<G> Gawd, I hate it when you're always =
right![G]
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police