yamaha wire is metric

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:18:52 -0700

<<Not sure about this, but I think that 14.5 on the bridge is equivalent
to 14 standard US size. Yes, I just checked with the micrometer and
metric 15 1/2 is exactly .035&quot; which is 15 standard. Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC  Canada,>>

Whoops! I thought it would be exactly the OPPOSITE!  I assumed that we would
need to go UP 1/2 size instead of DOWN by .5.
I never did understand the metric system! Oh well.
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Marcel Carey &lt;mcpiano@videotron.ca&gt;
To: Pianotech &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: RE: yamaha wire is metric
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:33:40 -0400

Not sure about this, but I think that 14.5 on the bridge is equivalent
to 14 standard US size. Yes, I just checked with the micrometer and
metric 15 1/2 is exactly .035&quot; which is 15 standard.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC  Canada,

&gt; -----Original Message-----
&gt; From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
&gt; Behalf Of pianolover 88
&gt; Sent: October 16, 2004 8:14 PM
&gt; To: pianotech@ptg.org
&gt; Subject: yamaha wire is metric
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Found out today that the wire size indications that Yamaha
&gt; stamps on their
&gt; grand piano bridges are METRIC, not standard sizes.  I
&gt; confirmed this with
&gt; tech Greg at yamaha corp. When I mentioned this to a couple
&gt; other techs (who
&gt; have more experience than myself), their typical reaction
&gt; was, &quot;hmmm, I
&gt; didn't know that&quot;. So, for example, 14.5 on the bridge
&gt; calls for 15 standard
&gt; size. How many on the list knows this? (Probably most
&gt; everyone but me! :))
&gt;
&gt; Also, since I'm restringing my yamaha G1, after removing
&gt; the old understring
&gt; felt, i found that the &quot;curved&quot; piece at the beginning of
&gt; the plain wire
&gt; tenor section (between agraffe and tuning pins) is actually
&gt; a piece of
&gt; cardboard, covered with thin felt, instead of one thick
&gt; piece, as in the
&gt; last two sections. Upon further inspection, the underside
&gt; of the cardboard
&gt; also has an extra strip of the material on one side, and a
&gt; thinner strip of
&gt; felt on the other, for DB purposes no doubt. I wonder if
&gt; you can order these
&gt; pieces ready-made, or will i  have to just make a &quot;copy' of
&gt; it myself.
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; Terry Peterson
&gt;
&gt; Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus
&gt; voter tools and
&gt; more! http://special.msn.com/msn/election2004.armx
&gt;