marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:17:19 -0700

Rumor has it that the Steinway piano was originally designed that the
pin would ride against the plate.  Why not just install tuning pin
bushings when restringing a Steinway?  Except on some older models where
the tuning pin areas are countersunk, what's the reason not to?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Barbara Richmond
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 8:38 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

----- Original Message -----
From: Erwinspiano@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 9:20 AM
Subject: marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

<snip>
    I always ream out the holes in the plate prior to refinishing the
plate to clean out the old paint & accumulated goop,rust, or excess
paint from several spray can jobs. Also I see no reason why the holes on
& Steinway can't be a bit larger & also a larger hole thereby removes
some of the risk of having pins lean against the plate flange. It bugs
me and makes tuning a bit squirrley.     Dale Erwin

It sure does make the tuning squirrelly.  There's something else I'd
call it, but.......like........I'm a lady.  ;-)    I'm wrestling with a
piano that has exactly that problem.  The other causes of stiction I've
dealt with successfully mostly by lubing some way or another.  But,
since were talking right there at the pinblock, I haven't dared.  Any
thoughts?  Yes, yes, I've already suggested that it goes in for a new
block.

Barbara Richmond