marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:20:18 EDT

List
  Last year we talked about different methods of  marking Tuning pin holes
accurately prior to drilling the  new pinblock block or I should say drilling it
out of the piano. I have come up  with a way I like better than marking the
circle with a pencil that's faster  & IMHO more accurate.
  I always ream out the holes in the plate prior to  refinishing the plate to
clean out the old paint & accumulated goop,rust, or  excess paint from
several spray can jobs. Also I see no reason why the holes on  & Steinway can't be a
bit larger & also a larger hole thereby  removes some of the risk of having
pins lean against the plate flange. It bugs  me and makes tuning a bit
squirrley.
  The standard plate hole is . 5/16." I use a letter V  bit which is just
slightly larger than that but smaller than a 3/8" bit to ream  the hole. My new
trick is to take a 3/8" forstner and lightly grind down the  sides until it
just fits in the newly sized plate hole. The spur on the bit's  bottom puts a
nicely centered drill mark in the wood. You can't miss. The edge  of the forsnter
marks the diameter of the hole which gives a nice reference  & says you
really are hitting the hole dead center. Run the forstner in a  drill motor & Zip,
Zip & 5 minutes later the hole are marked. It takes  about the same to resize
the plate holes.
 When the block is set up on the press The dimpled mark  makes a beautiful
pilot hole for your spur bit & the edge of the forstner  that has made a slight
mark outlining the entire diameter of the hole for  reference gives one
absolute confidence the hole is centered. You can't  miss.
    Hey Even trained apes can't screw this  up.
   Use it enjoy it.
     Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com