Better late than....

lgulli2586 lgulli2586@rogers.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:22:54 -0400

Howdy

 Whatever you end up getting into,  sooner or later=3D20
> things start getting real rewarding... big time rewarding.
>=3D20
> Its a great life the tuners life
>=3D20
> Cheers
> Ric

Ric,

I couldn't agree with you more.  My only regret is starting a bit late =
at it=3D
!=3D20

I too started late. Full yime straight ahead piano work at 48. [Now 52]. =
it is by far the most enjoyable satisfying endevour one could ever hope =
for. Despite those "picky" clients, many are wonderfully appreciative. =
While it seems a lot of fellows discuss grand pianos and focus on them, =
I chose the upright to specialize in. Around here most go for grands, so =
I picked up where others wouldnt go. Very rewarding, financially and =
professionally. Ive always had a passion for old things, and I just cant =
resist the charm of an upright. Yes many are tired and worn and will =
never get into that upper class up the piano world, but owners cherish =
them, and love them when the work is done. ie. refinish, keys, maybe =
strings, action service, regulate. Now they look good, sound good, and =
play good. [not GREAT] Regrets....there just isnt enough working life =
left to tackle and learn some of the more major rebuidling, voicing and =
regulating skills, so often discussed on this list. Hats off to all who =
made it to "all they can be".
P.S. I never found a mentor, just books, trial and error, and joining =
PTG as an associate, wanna be RPT, as fullfillment of a dream.

Richard, Canada