Pearl River and Kohler & Campbell

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:43:22 -0400

I've personally found down here in the bible belt that the new Pearl Rivers
tend to have a sound a lot of churches are going for - *bright*.
I'm still skeptical about the "new" Pearl Rivers, as I've had to clean up
decrepid "old" (15-20 years "old) PRs thanks to their wood not being cured
very well. If they go with the Pearl River, I'd suggest something larger
than the 5'3. At least the 5'6" or more - from what I've observed they seem
to be built better, and the pins don't *squeak* so much within the block
(different from the chirp/squeak of new pianos' tuning pins - these actually
make a curious squeaking sound that seems to come from in the pinblock, not
the agraffs or whatever). And yes, they are affiliated with Yamaha.
The rebuilts obviously depend heavily on how the rebuild job was done,
whether it's quality, etc.
I hope this helps a little :)
-ilex
.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Matthew Todd
  Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 12:13 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Pearl River and Kohler & Campbell

  I am helping a church in the purchase of a new grand for their sanctuary.
Someone from their church went to a place and got quotes on two grands.  The
first piano is a 4'10'' Kohler and Campbell.  It has been rebuilt (new
hammers, restrung, refinished in mahogony).  It is going for $4,495.

  The second piano is a 5'3'' Pearl River.  It is a brand new polished ebony
going for $7,950.

  Now, I know Pearl River is from China, and I did talk to the lady who is
selling these pianos over the phone and she mentioned something about an
association between Pearl River and Yamaha.  Do they have anything to do
with each other?  And if they do, is it something to add an incentive to buy
it?  I wouldn't think so.

  I did a quick call to someone I know who sells pianos as well.  Now, he
has a 5'7'' Baldwin he recently rebuilt.  A dark mahogony finish, restrung,
new hammers, new keytops.  It is going for $20,000.  This is a little more
to what I would like to see the church have.

  I am sure a lot of you know churches and how they'll just purchase
something for the low price and if the piano "looks" good.  Some of them may
want quality, but I'm sure not everyone on that church board cares about it.
I want to stress to them that they have two options here.  They can purchase
a piano that will last 10 to 15 years, or they can buy one that will last 65
to 70 years.

  Does anyone have anything they would say to this?  I need to know some
good clever things to say here.

  Thanks!

  Matthew Todd
  Todd Piano Works