tuning 'notes'

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 23:59:20 -0700

My dear friend Andre': you wrote-----

> That means in essence, that by using one of the most sophisticated ETD's, we
> no longer are bothered by the 'chinese puzzle' called ET, and that we no
> longer have to repeat doing that very same chinese puzzle day in day out, year
> after year.
This is a perfect example of how people are different, that "every head is a
planet":  I LOVE the Chinese puzzle; I look forward to solving it anew every
day; I see setting an ideal, rock-solid, musically pleasing temperament
according to each piano's subtle harmonic and inharmonic differences to be
every SINGLE bit as important as stood-still, tonally rich and creamy
unisons. When the temperament is set  properly---with tremendous
precision---and then is stretched precisely according to that piano's
"wishes," you have a tuning that soars and sings.  Everything lines up, so
to speak, and the piano's treble seems to open up. Arpeggios from note #1 to
#88 are deliciously, solidly in tune; the action FEELS better, or seems to;
many times, some of the "voicing issues" are solved by a precise, musical
tuning. This is NOT to say that voicing and action regulation done to the
same precise, musical standard are not absolutely necessary. They are. But a
great tuning is a powerful enhancement, an extremely successful "making of
tone."

> If your temperament is not really the way it should be, the musical 'tone' of
> our unisons will make up for it entirely.
Wow.  A startling concept for me to accept.

> 'Tone' is the key word here,
> dividing your intervals is another.
> I do not, and shall not deny that making the right 'whatever tuning' is very
> important, but I have learned that the quality of your unisons by far make up
> for a tuning that is not 100 % accurate.
Again, wow. I personally would not like to have to make that determination:
"well, my temperament's kind of---off--but I'll cover it up with my luminous
unisons."

With my ears---and I'm sure, Andre', with the aid of your Verituner---we can
make a beautiful, solid, and balanced temperament.  Part of the game, the
thrill, for me is to make an ideal temperament with my ears on every piano I
tune.  It's my little obsession, I suppose, perhaps a touch of OCD or
self-regulation/medication.  I can't seem to go on until the temperament is
ideal.

I'm sure that would be hell for a lot of you; to me, it's heaven.  Weird,
but true. The good news is that it makes for consistently powerful,
beautiful tunings that make the piano sound much, much better than it did
before I started.

With Andre' and so many other gifted wizards on this list, working on pianos
that satisfy the most discerning ears, I think it's fascinating that we all
are a little or a lot different, but that all of us arrive at the same
place: a beautiful piano that is crisp, that sings and resonates, that is
ripe with color and dynamic range and expression.

I'm very grateful to be here, and to be doing this craft. Thanks, Andre',
for your tremendous knowledge and positive attitude, and thanks to all for
your continuing good-hearted wisdom.

Best,
David Andersen