Setting Rates

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 14 Oct 2004 12:10:14 -0500

Terry, and others,

Please be careful when making disparaging remarks against "tooners." It
seems to me that these are the very people that the PTG wants to draw in for
professional development. We need to be intentional about creating an
environment that makes beginners feel welcome. I remember when first
starting out I was super intimidated whenever I was around people that had
been in the business awhile. I was painfully and acutely aware of my
shortcomings and lack of knowledge/experience. I don't have my RPT yet
probably for that very reason: I felt like an "outsider" any time I went to
a PTG seminar.

The recent seminar hosted by my home chapter, Indy 440, was very different.
I felt very encouraged by the classes and strongly motivated to pursue
getting tested. The classes were excellent. Very well done. Many thanks to
all for their hard work.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Farrell
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 11:02 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Setting Rates

Yes, and that is why one can observe a pretty fair range of "tuning" fees.
Professional, well trained, piano technicians will charge fees on a par with
other professionals. Tooners that get a couple lessons or read a book and
then toon part time or whatever are the ones that offer $45 toonings - and
hope they don't break a string - and look at you cock-eye when you say
"pitch raise - "what's that?", etc., etc.

Terry Farrell