Replacing upright jack springs

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:14:52 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: Replacing upright jack springs

> At 11:52 10/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>>I've got an old Kimball upright that has a half dozen weak jack springs
>>(the jack moves OK; the spring's just too weak to return it).  Brady's
>>great guide to field repairs says you should pull the action, remove the
>>wippen, and ream out the depression that the spring sits in to remove old
>>glue.
>>
>>This is one part of an upright action that I've got pretty good access to,
>>as is.  Is there an easier way?
>>
>>--Cy Shuster--
>>Bluefield, WV

If you can pull the old ones out and get the new ones in without removing
the wippen, go for it.  Sometimes pulling out the remains of the old one
also pulls all the old glue out with it, and leaves the hole clean enough.
They'll probably sit in their holes better if you ream the holes first, but
this may be hard to do without removing the wippens, unless maybe
disconnecting the bridle straps gives you better access.  Some say not to
glue them, but then they can jump out when repinning a jack or if the top of
the spring is removed from under the jack for some reason.  So I say, glue
them -- the factories do -- just don't put too much glue.   --David Nereson,
RPT