Replacing uprigh jack springs

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 15:57:51 -0700

Cy said: "I've got good enough access to the jack on this action that I =
can=20
clean out the old glue without pulling the action and removing the =
wippen.=20
The repair guide shows using a special reamer (like a Forstner bit?) to=20
remove the old glue -- which requires wippen removal."

Cy,
On most uprights either take the keys out or have action in a cradle. =
Undo the bridle straps, so the wippens drop, making the jack heel get =
out of the way. Using the "Jack spring tool" is no problem, in this =
configuration. Just yank out the olde springs and ream the "base" hole =
with the tool. A drop of hide glue on the spring bottom and insert. =
Should not be a problem.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police