OT Re: kinesthesia, visual cortex, delicious fo odstuffs and language differences.

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:55:48 +0200

On 13-okt-04, at 8:14, jason kanter wrote:

> I do so enjoy the play across senses, which can become quite weird and=20=

> is
> called kinesthesia. At its extremes there are phenomena like someone=20=

> who
> experiences tastes as shapes. Roast beef was like arches to a man I=20
> heard on
> the radio. More common is to experience sound as color, and no doubt=20=

> there
> was some of this in Mozart who felt the key of D to be yellow. And =
when
> hammers are like ice cream or -- can't quite remember the wonderful=20
> way Oleg
> describes sounds -- It is an openness to the experience that=20
> transcends any
> single sense. I feel in the presence of similar genius.
>
> Jason

Hello, especially to Jason Kantor, and List,

The other day I really, and totally, misinterpreted your "cortex and=20
delicious food" email.
I tried to contact you off list but my messages were bounced back to me.
By reading your kind reaction the next morning, and through the kind=20
aid of others here on this list, I began to understand that I had made=20=

a grave mistake.
It is clear to me that email traffic can be hazardous at times because=20=

in most cases one does not really know 'the other(s)', one does not=20
know what they look like, and, in our mutual case, the language barrier=20=

may prove to be higher than we think, despite the ability of non-native=20=

English speakers to speak and write in English, more or less.
So I sincerely thought you were making fun of me and I felt hurt=20
because of it.
Because I have understood that this is certainly not the case, I,=20
again, would like to offer you my apologies and, at the same time,=20
would like to warn my fellow non-American/English list subscribers that=20=

life sometimes may seem different on 'paper'.
Sometimes, I even wonder whether it is 'wise' to become a subscriber to=20=

an email forum where the majority speaks a 'different language'.
On the other hand, both this list, and the internet have a common place=20=

for people all over the World with English (Inkelish) as the language=20
everybody uses here, and there, and everywhere, so we, non-native=20
English users stumble on, make really miserable language mistakes=20
and... sometimes create unwanted trouble.

Nevertheless, I absolutely enjoy being a subscriber to this list and=20
its members and will sincerely try to learn from my lessons.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

"where Music is, no harm can be"