Billing's flange repairs

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:27:45 -0600

Hi Dave, Use a screw driver, and wedge the blade in between the two legs =
spreading them slightly, until you can get the size center pin you want =
in without blood. The Flange screw will reshape the hole to the pin as =
it is tightened.
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:32 PM
  Subject: Re: Billing's flange repairs

  Thanks Ron.  I was having a helluva a time trying to find the right =
sized pin....:-(  I better pick up a few for my next visit to my =
friend's house.=20

  I actually did try to spread it, but not having done this before, I =
was a tad shy of using brute force.  She has a student recital at her =
house on Saturday, and I didn't want the show to go on without a middle =
C...=20

  Dave S.=20

  In a message dated 10/5/04 9:16:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time, =
rnossaman@cox.net writes:=20

    Its not only a trick question, it's a trick flange. You won't likely =
be=20
    able to press the pin into the flange without spreading it some, =
which will=20
    likely break it. This will afford you the opportunity to purchase a =
new one=20
    (better get a half dozen), which will be so strangely deformed that =
you=20
    will spend far more time, skin, and brain cells trying to get it =
under=20
    control than you will justifiably consider appropriate or right. =
Don't=20
    worry though, that's the way it is. Spreading the flange allows the =
pin to=20
    go in, and installing the flange with the screw clamps the pin in so =
it=20
    won't move after the fact. All the other straightening and alignment =
stuff=20
    is peripheral entertainment.=20