Soundboard Installation - Clamping

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 10:14:55 EDT

Terry
 I use a maple piece/shelf held under the belly (temporarily ) rail  cutout
with wedges . Clamp with C clamps.
  Dale

To those in the habit of gluing soundboards to  piano rims......

In the high treble along the belly rail, the  belly rail is commonly not
vertical, but rather angled a bit towards the  pinblock at the upper edge where
the soundboard to rim joint is. This presents  a bit of a clamping challenge. I
have used go-bars in these kinds of areas in  the past, but would greatly
prefer to use a clamp. Also, when gluing the board  to a cut-off bar in the area
where the cut-off overlaps the horizontal  portion of the belly rail (and this
can be quite wide on well-built pianos)  presents an area where a traditional
clamp cannot be used. Again, one can use  the go-bar, but I wonder if some of
the wonderfully invent-ful participants of  this list haven't come up with
some kind of ingenious/superior method of  clamping in these areas.

Ideas?

Terry Farrell

_www.farrellpiano.com_ (http://www.farrellpiano.com/)