Wrapped strings in temperament

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 09:15:08 -0400

An important point to consider is that you won't be taking the RPT exam
on a spinet or console. You'll be taking it on a well scaled grand, at
least 5' 10" in length if my memory serves me well. You may find it
helpful to practice on good grands in preparation for the exam.

On the other hand -- the beauty of the Bald-Sand 2 Oct Temp is that it
allows your temperament to adjust for the "real world" imperfections
inherent in the typical spinet's bass/tenor break transition.

>> Should I stick with an F3-F4 sequence for these pianos, avoiding
>> wrapped
>> strings in the temperament range, or use the B-S sequence despite the
>> wrapped strings?  In other words, when faced with wrapped strings in
>> the
>> temperament, do you avoid them or forge ahead anyway?

Forge ahead!

Patrick Draine