Wrapped strings in temperament

Greg Livingston pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 02:38:45 +0000

Dear Friends,

I've been trying to learn the Baldassin-Sanderson Two-Octave temperament as
I prepare for the RPT exams.  As you know, this sequence goes from A2 to A4.
  Many of the spinets and consoles I see have wrapped strings much higher
than A2; some as high as G3.

Should I stick with an F3-F4 sequence for these pianos, avoiding wrapped
strings in the temperament range, or use the B-S sequence despite the
wrapped strings?  In other words, when faced with wrapped strings in the
temperament, do you avoid them or forge ahead anyway?

Greg Livingston
Boston chapter (associate)

Always remember September 11, 2001