tuning lower notes

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 21:53:28 -0400

Hi Julia,

Different people may tune the bass (and everything else!) differently.=20=

I did most of my early tuning on a 9' Baldwin and got very used to the=20=

sound of a fairly clean octave in the bass range. I understand what=20
you're probably referring to when you say you're tuning the octave's=20
fundamental, and I say continue tuning that way, though others may=20
disagree.

Also I would have clarify what Ric says when he says you don't have a=20
clear picture of piano inharmonicity. Probably a better way to say it=20
is that you don't have a clear intellectual picture of it. Learning=20
more about it for me hasn't changed my tuning style any, as I don't=20
hear anything I didn't already hear. The faster beating frequencies=20
you're hearing is because of the piano's inharmonicity, but you don't=20
need to know that to make a good decision about how to deal with it -=20
just try different things out and tune to your best judgement. If you=20
think too intellectual about it, taste may go out the window.

To give an alternative viewpoint to something Ric said, I haven't tuned=20=

a piano I wasn't able to hear the fundamental of the lowest bass=20
strings (granted I haven't tuned many small pianos). Though that's not=20=

particularly related to your question.

- John, P.T. sans R

> Greetings,
>
>  =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I find that tuning lower =
notes on some pianos (the wire=20
> wound ones) I dont always get clean octaves. There seems to be, and=20
> this is only on some pianos, these extra fast beats.=A0 I try to block=20=

> out the faster beating frequency(ies) and tune using the (the=20
> octave's) fundemental, and even when I get that low fundemental "in"=20=

> there's this annoying faster beating. I am tuning the bass mostly by=20=

> ear!=A0 Am I doing something wrong, or is it just cheap wire wound=20
> strings? What is causing this?
>  It seems to only happen on the cheaper spinets and consoles,=20
> occasionally an upright or grand will have this problem too, but not=20=

> as often.
>
>  Julia,
>  Reading, PA

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...