grand damper felt removal

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:44:09 -0700

I gotta admit I've never tried the chisel method but thinking=
 about the soaking, steaming etc. and it really is a pain...I=
 think the chisel.

David I.

From: Marcel Carey <mcpiano@videotron.ca>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: RE: grand damper felt removal

In this particular case, Yamaha didn't use hide glue for damper=
 felts I'm quite sure of. The fastest method I've used was to cut=
 the damper felt leaving the underfelt, and then use wallpaper=
 remover solution with very hot water. I just brush the solution=
 on until the felts are wet. Then leave it on for about 15=
 minutes. I then take the steam approach (slightly damp rag with=
 iron set on cotton) and just steam away for about 5 seconds.=
 This will soften the glue and it will peel off leaving a clean=
 surface ready for new dampers.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC