Steinway factory whippens

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:07:09 EDT

Dale writes:
Barbara Richmond asked about this last week & since then I've been in the
process of traveling several sets in the shop with difficulty. I returned a set
this week they were bad enough that 90% needed travel paper. I received a set
back & they were as bad. This is disappointing & a waste of timeto  mount &
then remove parts ughh
We have used the factory repetitions off and on for quite a while, since they
updated the machinery. The quality comes and goes. For a while a few years
ago, you couldn't tell which knuckle the repetition would wind up under, or
whether the jack would point up or down (slight hyperbole here). Then, for a
couple of years the parts were just beautiful, or at least the ones we got were,
requiring a reasonable amount of traveling. Recently, we have had trouble not
only with the traveling again, for that matter the alignment of all three
centers, but also wildly varying friction (1-20 grams at the support flange).
Application of a drop of methyl alcohol not only reduced most of them, but evened
them out some, but we still (obviously) did some repinning.

I like the design/function better than any others we have used, so we put up
with whatever problem is current. Sigh.

I have not found the Renner parts to be free of traveling.

Bob Davis