Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Sat, 09 Oct 2004 19:22:21 +0100

Hi folks... back and catching up on old news.. read several nice posts
and am very happy to see such a good discussion.

I agree entirely with Bernhards below.  And a quick re read of the first
two-three posts that David Love wrote on the subject confirm that. Which
is what prompted my original reaction.

So far... nothing at all that has been written goes to justify any claim
that a given soundboard condition dictates in any sense of the word
either / or any particular approach to hammering the piano. Neither with
regard to the original claim that went to lacquered vs tension hammers,
nor with regard to hammer weight.  Secondly... there is still no real
factual material presented to back up the claim that the (healthy)
soundboard can be driven into overdrive and distortion.

Since these were the origin for first jaunt of this thread... I'd
personally like to see it cleared up.

Cheers
RicB