Steinway factory whippens

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 10:47:47 -0500

Hi Dale,

Oh, crud.  Monday when I ordered parts, Shannon said it would be a week, =
maybe two, because there were no whippens on the shelf and they were =
awaiting a new shipment.  So, I was really surprised when the UPS truck =
pulled up on Friday with a package from S&S.  I'm not quite done with =
key bushings--I would've been done if I had known the parts were going =
to be here so soon.  :-)  Dang, did I get some of your rejects, Dale?   =
I guess I'll find out this week.......

Barbara Richmond

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 10:06 AM
  Subject: Steinway factory whippens

     Barbara Richmond asked about this last week & since then I've been =
in the process of traveling several sets in the shop with difficulty. I =
returned a set this week they were bad enough that 90% needed travel =
paper. I received a set back & they were as bad. This is disappointing & =
a waste of timeto  mount & then remove parts ughh
    It's not just that problem but also the rep lever being pinned in a =
non perendicular fashion to the whippen body. Upon removing the =
defective set from the rails I put on a set of Renner USA parts . My Son =
only traveled 3 Whippens in the bass & completed traveling the rest in =
about an hour. Ther were'n treally many to do. He's slow & new to this =
job but the visual difference of looking at straight parts  right after =
looking at the others was quite dramatic.
    I like the factory parts when they are right but right now they need =
a process that can drill straight holes & sumpin is askew.
    Fortunately Renner USA has repaired the formely funky & non original =
jack angle I objected to & the new parts fit very well.
    Just thought update this

     Dale Erwin