Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 14:54:45 -0400

Thanks Ron. There goes my good custom pinblock customer.....   ;-)

Actually, I was thinking of trying that approach also on my next block.

Hey, BTW, I can cap a multi-lam pinblock also - with any thickness cap.

Terry Farrell

www.farrellpiano.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 11:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

     Ron
     By the way
    Your thoughts & method on the capping rotary blocks makes a whole =
lot a farm boy sense. I'm gonna try it. A 2 3/8' pin is only going to =
end up with half its length in actual wood (well depending flange =
thickness)  Which means the portion  in the wood has about equal parts =
in botht he 15/32" & then delignit cap & rotary cut maple.. ahh very =
slick I get it.  what drill diameter does this set up like to bore at?
    I'll send the leftover cash right away
     Thanks
    Dale
    That's no different from the quarter sawn blocks. They self destruct =
under=20
    extreme conditions too. The only disasters I've seen from the cheap =
blocks=20
    (assuming competent installation in the first place) were in school =
systems=20
    with steam heat where the RH% went from over 75% in the summer, to =
under=20
    20% in the winter. In fact, that's one of the reasons I originally =
went to=20
    Delignit many years ago. The multi-lams tended to be snappy if they =
were=20
    drilled tight enough to hold up under climatic abuse. The Delignit =
will do=20
    that too, but the double drilling helps that, which is one of the =
reasons I=20
    developed the process. The problem (among other things) is that the =
bottom=20
    of the hole is as tight as the top of the hole, and it doesn't need =
to be.=20
    There's almost no string induced stress on the pin and block at the =
bottom=20
    of the pin, so the bottom half of the block serves mostly to keep =
the pin=20
    pointed in the right direction, and supply the snap of jumpy pins =
when it=20
    gets the chance. A low density block capped with the Delignit bridge =

    capping stock changes the torque gradient down the pin, and lets the =
bottom=20
    catch up with the top without kicking the top loose and snapping. =
Again,=20
    this works with both the $75, and the $315 low density block. It is =
my=20
    expectation that, since the majority of the tension and leverage is=20
    supported by the much tougher capping, the underlying block is under =

    considerably less load than if it were doing all the work itself, =
and won't=20
    deteriorate nearly as badly or as quickly under climate extremes as =
a=20
    result. Lower compression levels ought to mean less compression set. =
That's=20
    the theory, anyway, and that makes the expensive block a waste of =
money and=20
    good wood. I like it so far, but I'll let you know in 20 years or so =
how it=20
    works out in long term practice.

    Ron N