ethics question

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:06:52 +0000

Thanks Robin,

You speak the truth. When asked if I know another tech, my usual response is : "Yes I am familar with them or their work" and that is where I leave it. It's like saying "That piano is amazing". Amazing can mean a lot of different things, and I let the owner read into it as they wish.

RU

-------------- Original message from "Robin Blankenship" : --------------

Rick,
David is absolutely correct. Just do the best work that you can and be patient. I've had plenty of customers use somebody else........once. And, when you get them back, DO NOT denigrate the other tuner(s). Often, it is a matter of personal taste on the customer's part. While it is true that we are "competitors" for business, it also true that our common "foe" is actually the limits of the piano's abilities to sound and feel wonderful. Whenever another's tuner's name is mentioned, I always find something positive to say about them. For one thing, I do not wish to disparage the customer's taste or judgement. Yes, I may enjoy a moment of "victory" later, after I have gotten the customer back; but, I keep that to myself. We piano techs all need each other's knowledge, experience and insight in order to best "Save The Music", to borrow a phrase.

Be patient and enjoy each opportunity to service a piano. It IS a privilege.

Robin Blankenship
----- Original Message -----
From: richard.ucci@att.net
To: ilvey@sbcglobal.net ; Pianotech
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:36 AM
Subject: RE: ethics question

Thanks for the advice Dave,

I think the fact that a strong bond was not yet created with them had a lot to do with it, however I do have a strong bond with the womans father who's piano I service and who was not pleased about the teachers behavior.

RU/UP

-------------- Original message from David Ilvedson : --------------

I'd call the teacher and tell him to quit recommending the new tuner to your customers.   Don't get steamed on the phone with the teacher.   What's wrong with that?   He just may say OK unless you've really ticked him off somehow...;-]

On a related note...you will NEVER keep all your customers.   The best you can do is do top notch work and be as friendly and interested in their piano/them as you can.   I keep names of children, pets etc. in my database to refer to when calling.  Most importantly keep the regular contact for service and that's all you can do.  Creating some sort of personal bond with the customers does beget loyalty.  That being said, I've lost oodles of customers over the years...usually from my neglect of contact, they moved, quit playing the piano and yes, sometimes another tuner is referred...

David I.