Billing's flange repairs

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:59:46 EDT

List,

I have tuned a friend of mine's piano a couple of times.  Middle C
hammer/butt assembly is loose.  The piano has Billing's flanges, which I have never
worked with before.  I removed the assembly, and the pinning was loose in the
hammer bushings.  After finding the appropriately sized pin to replace it with, I
found that I couldn't get it through the "bird's eye" of the flange.

Stupid question # 1,892:  How tightly are the pins supposed to fit in the
flange/bird's eye?

Historical Note:  The piano in question is a really well maintained old
Beckwith upright that has been in my friend's family since new,  purchased from the
Sears Catalogue in the late 1800s by her great grandma(much to the chagrin of
her great grandpa).  It took a few trips in covered wagons.

Her 88 year old father remembers crawling around beneath the keyboard when he
was a toddler.  It used to get taken to the town center on Saturday nights
for the weekly hoe-down(or some such thang).

Any help on pinning this type of flange will be greeted with gratitude.

Dave Stahl