Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:23:16 EDT

Dale wrote
>I have recently this year been capping my  stwy/Bolduc block with a thin
>cap of delignit 5/16ths inch & this  does help the flagpoling & the
>tendency for the top of the pin  hole to get hogged out.
 Ronwrote
I don't see how it helps flagpoling, but it does provide a  solid and tight
fit for the pin just where it needs to be - at the top of  the block.
.

   Dale
  I don't see how a 5/16 cap is doing all the work & hey It  still tunes like
a 1/4 sawn maple block.
 What the cap does  IMO is to keep the pin from mushing out  the hole over
time & seems to act like a nice tight bearing surface for  the pin to turn
against.  I've used it as thin as a 1/4 inch & like the  results. Hey its worked
for Yamaha for 45 years & I think everbody like the  way those tune.

Ron  wrote
Personally, I don't see much point in wasting an expensive block as  dead
filler underneath the Delignit cap that's doing virtually all the  work. In
my opinion, the cheap rotary cut multi lamination blocks are  ideal for this
use.
   Dale
  The cheap blocks which are rotary cut & flat sawn as a  result  may not
hold up that well in some climates Like yours partner?. Or  the nevada desert &
other dry places.
   Any history with it there in Kansas? Any way I've stayed  away from the it.
 Hey If it works I'd love to save the money I spend on the wood worth  it's
weight in gold/cash.
  Regards
   Dale