rebuilding decisions

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:13:12 -0500

Considering you probably do not wish to spend many thousands and a couple of
years to learn it on this piano, It sounds like the action work would return
the most rewards to you personally and make the piano worth more to
prospective customers.  You have to decide how far you want to go.  Without
doing a 100% job, I would first replace as much of the action as you can
afford.

I can do a totally new action in less than a week and that is with all the
other stuff we have going on here.  Use Renner so you don't have to spend
days straightening up the flanges and shimming pieces.  Use Ronsen or Renner
hammers.  They vary in price but they are both dependable.  If you can get
the bass bridge out without removing the plate, then do so and send it to
someone like John Trefz or others on this list who will replace it or
replace the top half of it for about $100.00.  Glue and screw it back
together and re install the bass strings.  You can replace the bass strings
if you like for about $200.  Replace tuning pins if you do.

In the rare occasion that this baby grand has long bolts that go through the
plate and the pin block at both ends of the pin block, it may be one of
those few pianos that you can remove the plate without destringing it.  If
the pin block is bolted down with flathead woodscrews UNDER the plate then
you are out of luck.  If the plate is removable, then you can also do a
total recrown or shimming of the soundboard.  If you do this contact me for
further details on doing it.

With the plate out and strings only attached at the tuning pins, you can
clean the plate without so much bother.

Good luck.

Oh, yeah for great grand regulation get the book by Danny Boone at any piano
supply

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org <http://www.glycoscience.org/>