OT Windows XP SP2

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:20:14 -0400

Yes, I've been waiting just for the "other shoe" to drop.  But SP2 was =
released Aug. 13.  There have apparently been two more versions of it =
since then, and nothing scary or ugly.  There are definitely some major =
security holes plugged, such as the one that can allow damage to your PC =
thru nothing more sinister than opening a .jpg (the GDI+ loophole).

So carve out some time when things are slow, check out the list of =
affected software (manufacturers have had time to respond to the final =
SP2 release, now), and give it a shot.  If you're already running a =
firewall (like ZoneAlarm, which I recommend instead of Windows' =
firewall, since it works in both directions -- www.zonelabs.com), or =
don't download many things from the Internet, or are on dialup (where =
your exposure is limited), it's not as much of a benefit.

--Cy--
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Avery Todd=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 12:24 AM
  Subject: Re: OT Windows XP SP2

  I've never heard yet of anyone recommending installing this update. =
Yet!=20
  Except Microsoft, of course. Even our university recommends waiting =
because=20
  of all the possible conflicts with major programs.=20

  Besides that possibility, I've also heard to wait until at least =
"most" of=20
  the bugs in the update are fixed. You think there won't be some???? =
:-)=20

  Avery