ethics question

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:54:13 +0000

Alan, you are very right about that. I had a client call me back after going to another "tooner" (their teacher) and request a tuning. I gave them my current price which is $15 more than it was before and they balked. I said ,"That is my price, however I am booked for the next two weeks".They have not called back, but I don't care.

Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

-------------- Original message from "Alan Forsyth" : --------------

It may very well be that the teacher has been given a financial incentive to refer customers, or may be involved personally with said tech. I myself wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Remember it is likely your ego is being hurt more than anything else and not your wallet. There are plenty of other income earners within the piano tuner's world besides tuning. If those lost customers should ever need to call you in the future, it might just be very tempting to say that you are fully booked for the next ten years.

AF

and my goodness, almost two whole digests of Pianotech dedicated to beer........hic.......
----- Original Message -----
From: richard.ucci@att.net
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 8:32 PM
Subject: ethics question

OK guys , here's the deal.
A piano teacher I tuned for years ago, stopped using me for reasons unknown, and started using a competitor.  He then started telling clients who were mine originally and referred to him for teaching, to use the other tuner.

Last night I lost another one. The woman said," Oh we just had it tuned.Our teacher suggested someone else. But if it doesn't sound good later we'll call you".

I replied ,"Thank you for your loyalty". "I'll certainly be waiting by the phone for your call"." I am deleting you from my files, Good Bye".

Has this ever happened to you guys and what if anything can I do about it and still be ethical. I deal with about fifteen or more teachers now but I'm really starting to get steamed.

Thanks,
Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano