Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:26:51 EDT

Greetings,
   I wrote:
<< I use #1 pins on all my rebuilds.  I  usually use either factory Steinway
or Bolduc blocks.  Normally, I  use a C bit in the bottom 44 pins and a D bit
in the treble.   Sometimes if the block feels a little tight, I will go to an
E  bit,(.250")  in the top two octaves, just for ease of tuning.    >>

Dale writes:
   I would not recommend no. ones in Ds or other heavy tension  scales unless
they have plate bushing. I find the D I did with ones has more pin  flex than
desired & the tuning is a bit more squirrly than before it was  restrung.

Hmmm,  this is interesting!
   Four years ago, I restrung the D at Vanderbilt with #1 pins in a new
Steinway block.  The torque tapers from around 125 in/lbs in the bass to 100 in the
treble, (I used the two sizes of drill bits and also increased the feed speed
at the top end to give a little looser hole).
    The piano tunes like a dream.  I wish all the D's I tune, (six of them
last week!) were this easy to place the pins.  Soooo.... I dunno. There are a
lot of variables in something this subjective.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT