Strike Point

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 05:55:40 +0100

Dear Joe,

You may use the new Mensurix 5 with the built in physical modeling of =
the hammer/string interaction for the inspection of the strike points. =
Especially in the Pro Version there is a strike point optimizer that =
calculates a predefined amount of strike points (typically about 30-50) =
and reports the results on a graph with loudness against the different =
strike point lengths. What can be found by this simulations, is that the =
optimal strike line is not on a geometric line. There are more or less =
several points that have a nearly constant size measured from te =
agraffe, where beyond them the loudness will decrease rapidly and =
increase slowly again (but always less than the precedent maximum). The =
first maximum distance is about 3 milimeters away from the agraffe (the =
exact value depend most on hammer mass and string tension and to some =
amount of the hammer stiffness). This first short distance can be used =
only for the last hammers in the treble depending on the construction of =
the instrument (agraffes on a grand etc) and and the size and shape of =
the hammers.
As a consequence of these results to keep a constant hammer shank =
length, (for an equal strike weight and touch weight) the bridge side =
termination must be rearranged also, what is only possible in the =
construction of a new instrument or by restringing/recapping of the =
bridge. It would me not astonish to find out that the constructors of =
the old first class instruments of the last century had covered such =
breaks (which they may have found by experiments) into the offsets at =
the iron frame breaks.

Regards,

Bernhard

You may download a free demo of the Mensurix 5 at:
http://www.piano-stopper.de/dl/Mensurix_5.0.10.msi

----- Original Message -----=20