first almost-rebuild/major fixup project!

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:20:43 -0400

Hellooooo list!

I will also be inquiring directly to our resident Kawai technician Don, but
I figured I'd get the ball rolling now. I'm quite interested to hear what
everyone will have to say on this (if you read it all the way through!).

I have purchased my first piano of my own, my first GRAND piano, and
consequently my first of several major projects (wrapped in one piano). The
piano is a 1970s Kawai 600, in decent condition, needing some detailed
cleaning and tlc, little to no action work, 1/2 step flat. It would have
been put for sale for about $8k as is with a bit of cleaning, tuning, string
twisting and lubing, but since it is now *MINE*, I'm planning to soup this
baby up to make it what *I* want it to be, and to use the opportunity to
*carefully* work on skills in areas I don't have much experience. Following
is a list of areas of concern/plans to fix/renew. The worst areas are listed
first:
  a.. First of all, the bass bridge could use some improvement (terrible
grammar, I know); the holes are enlarged with some small cracks around
them - no cracks that reach the edge of the bridge or run the length, or
even run between pins, but again the holes are enlarged enough I'm pretty
sure once I raise the string tension it'll be sketchy. There are spots in
the treble where the holes are a bit enlarged with tiny cracks at the rims
of the holes as well. Trebles look similar to Mark Davidson's project, bass
is not nearly as bad as his, though. I've NO experience with
epoxy/CA-glueing bridges, and there seems to be a slew of techniques and
opinions on the matter. Easiest/most effective method? Where can I get West
End epoxy and CA glue (not at Home Depot, it seems!) - ? At what point do
you decide it's okay to just apply epoxy, and where's the point where you
really need to replace the bridge or have it recapped?
  b.. Something spilled into this piano at some point, directly in the
middle of the soundboard. When we first got it to the shop, it looked like a
simple cleanup with a moist rag. Until someone sprayed compressed air into
the piano to clear the dust and cobwebs and part of the decal (in the spill
zone) subsequently flaked off. It was my understanding that usually the
decal is under the varnish - if this is the case and the varnish is
compromised (please excuse my ignorance on this matter, btw), am I looking
at stripping and revarnishing this puppy? How critical is it if I leave it?
What is the best way to clean this? I am planning on restringing, so I'll be
able to expose the soundboard more, but I'm afraid removing the plate isn't
too realistic unless it absolutely MUST be done. I don't really want to mess
with downbearing on this piano - it's too valuable to me personally to risk
completely screwing up. Maybe when I get a house with my own workshop and
can play rebuilder on some clunkers, but not now if I can help it. Has
anyone ever touched up or revarnished a soundboard by masking off the plate
and working around it? I feel stupid asking such a question, but my
pseudo-"manager"/scheduler/learning-on-the-job-body-repair-guy seems to
think it can be done, and I'm QUITE skeptical. What about spraying a new
finish on the plate? What's the best thing to use and the best method? Can
that be done with the plate still in the piano?
  c.. cleaning in general - is the general consensus still that warm water
with a touch of white vinegar is a Good Thing for wiping down the works?
(and YES I am in the process of researching the archives on all of this, but
I thought it couldn't hurt to ask for any new opinions)
  a.. restringing - the strings are just funky. Since it's to be *my* piano,
I want new strings. Suggestions on the best? What about the Mapes Gold
Series? Opinions? The pin block feels fine, and since the story of this
piano is that it sat in some lady's parlour nearly untouched for
30-some-odd-years, it probably wasn't tuned much if at all (since it's 100
cents flat!). Is restringing/repinning the pinblock going to be a problem
here? Should I pitch-raise and tune this piano before removing the strings
to sort of "break in" the pinblock and ease the wood a bit or no?
  b.. I really want to replace the damper felts - they're just worn with
age. Best kind of damper felt to get?
  c.. Back to punching felt - where to get these Wurzen punchings people
were raving about in a prior discussion?
  d.. Replacing the rest of the felt in the case - is there a must-see
resource to teach me the best way to get the prettiest and most effective
result? Is there ANY REASON anyone can give me why I should have to replace
the blue felt with more blue felt, or can I just go with whatever pleases me
asthetically?
  e.. The keys have yellowed badly in the mid-section. It's not nicotene,
and I don't think it's a spill. I think it's just time and lack of light
that have yellowed them because they feel just fine to the touch and nothing
is warped. Best way to bleach them?
Like I said, from what I've seen, the action seems fine. Hammers will want a
light filing and voicing to my tastes, keys need easing BADLY, and
regulation is imminent. There appears to be a little bit of chewing or
deterioration on the front rail punchings, but not much - I just want to
replace them for me ;)

As soon as I can, I will try and get pictures to post. Despite my list, it's
not in terrible shape - I just can't afford a Shigeru or even an RX, so I
want to make this the best I can in the meantime.

Thanks in advance,
ilex