Olde Knabe Back Action

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:58:22 -0500

Terry,

I think these are his two posts!

Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004

Terry,
I've found the following to work rather well: While the flanges are still
attached to the rail, center punch and drill for the appropriate flange
screws. Then remove the flanges. I prefer to put some moisture (just a
little) and heat to them. They'll pop off fairly well with a little coaxing
with a chisel. Clean up the rail and add sandpaper strips w/appropriate
holes punched. I like to attach the sandpaper with cold hide glue as it
gives you a sufficient amount of time to get everything lined up and it
doesn't leave lumps/bubbles in the sandpaper. (less traveling needed, but
there will be some.)

Most of these do not have "damper barrels", so I add them. a simple jig for
the drill press will get that job done. Drill for a tight fit and press
them in with a punch in the drill press after the holes have been drilled.
Sure will make puttin' em in a lot easier.

BTW, the thingee you are wondering about terminology-wise, is called the
Top Flange.<G> I like to use the specs. from the olde Steinway manual.
Without looking, I recall the Top Flange is
1-3 grams and the Lever is 3-5 grams. Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares

At 04:43 PM 10/3/04, you wrote:
>Joe, you bad boy - you type new subject titles, so I don't know exactly
>what you are responding to. Bottom line: You say you forgot to add
>......... but I can't find the original response to my post.
>
>......And I do so value your input........
>
>Terry Farrell

Avery