lifting strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:12:59 -0500

>Ron N said: "Kinking" the wire is precisely how it works."
>Ron N
>So...Ron, would you consider that: 1.A bad thing 2.A good thing 3. Doesn't
>matter?????
>Inquiring minds would like to know.<G>
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

Hi Joe,
I'm not so sure it matters either way. We routinely "kink" (bend beyond the
elastic limit) wires when we form the bends around all the bearing points
when we install a string. While I keep hearing all about how kinks in
strings cause false beats or other dreaded problems, a lot of kinks are
left in speaking lengths of a lot of strings by a lot of people with string
hooks, to the improvement of tone, they report. And since there aren't too
many ways (that actually work) to lower a string that is already too high,
if Charles' tool does that, more power to it/him. My pointing out that the
tool kinks strings wasn't a judgement, just an attempt to clarify and
inject a little realism where I could. I like realism, however unpopular it
can be.

Ron N