rebuilding decisions

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 13:44:50 -0400

On Oct 3, 2004, at 12:49 PM, Andrew & Rebeca Anderson wrote:

> You mentioned that the treble hammers are catching on the plate.
> There usually is some adjustment in the placement of the action.
> Often very little adjustment is needed to free them up.

Some manufacturers (Chickering especially comes to my mind) leave very
little space between the Scylla of the belly rail and the Charbydis of
the V-bar/agraffe arrangement. Overcentering of extremely worn treble
hammers can certainly result in hammers hanging up on the V-bar. First
try replacing one of the offending hammers with one of the proper bore
length (i.e. with a proper amount of felt at the striking point). You
may find that it works perfectly where the worn ones jam against the
plate.

Patrick Draine