Old Knabe Backaction

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 3 Oct 2004 08:04:55 EDT

<< > Rebuilding an old (1900) Knabe grand backaction. The darn flanges are

> glued and screwed to the rail! I was surprised to find no sandpaper on

> the rail. I'll be doing some repining, etc. Regarding the flanges

> glued to the rail, what have folks found to be a good procedure to get

> this situation back up to snuff? >>

One of the great benefits of hide glue is that it can be broken while leaving
the wood intact.  I have often had to remove a glued on underlever flange and
I do it with a hammer.
    Secure the rail to the bench, and I do mean secure.  You may want to
buttress it against the straight edge of an old pinblock that is clamped down to
the bench, but whatever, this procedure depends on the shock value so you don't
want the rail to be flexing.
   Get a small block of hardwood or steel or brass that is slightly narrower
than the width of the flange and while holding it firmly against the back of
the flange, give it a sharp rap with a SMALL hammer.  You are looking for
velocity here, not brute force.
   The joint will break cleanly and it will be a simple matter to brush on a
thin coat of hot hide glue and press it back into place when the pinning is
corrected.  I use clamps but I am not sure they are necessary.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT