Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:56:03 -0500

Bernhard wrote:
Yes thatīs what i say. As long as you put the same amount of energy into the
key, the sound will not be louder. This the principle of conservation of
energy.

Well, at one point engineers were invited to step into the debate but this
engineer is grossly underqualified. I will, however, comment on the above
remark. Conservation of energy says that the amount of energy after the
impact has to equal the amount before the impact. Before the impact all we
have is the kinetic energy of the hammer. After the impact we have the work
done in deflecting the string, the work done in compressing the hammer felt,
and some heat absorbed in the fibers of the hammer (some in the string,
also). Changing the elasticity of the hammer will change the amount of heat
absorbed by the hammer and the amount of deflection of the felt. This means
either more (or less) energy must go into the string or into the returning
hammer. So for a given energy imparted to the key, conservation of energy
does allow for variance of energy to be transferred to the string by
changing hammer densities, it seems to me.

It has been fascinating to read both sides of the debate, except for the
occasional forays into the ad hominems. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Blessings,
Dean
Dean May, PE             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802