Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:41:10 +0100

David wrote:

> Doesn't a Boes also have a thicker soundboard panel due to the fact that
> it has a softer rim than, say, a Steinway?

A soundboard should be as light as possible and as stiff as possible for the
best sound. But it must always have enough static stability.

> Is it the tension of the
> strings or the thicker panel that needs to be driven by the harder
> hammer?

Take a thick soundboard and a very thin scale and a heavy and hard
hammer....
The problem will not be, that the sounboard is not driven enough. The
problem will be, that the string blocks if blown above its linear range.

The hammer should be softer and heavier, not harder on a high tension string
to produce a pleasant overtone spectrum in a range we expect. I corrected
this in my second post.

regards,

Bernhard

harder on a s