hammers and soundboards

antares antares@euronet.nl
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 21:37:26 +0200

On 1-okt-04, at 15:30, David Love wrote:

> The evidence of different soundboards (and soundboards in various
> conditions) needing hammers of varying densities is so abundant in the
> piano circles that I run in that I don't even know what to say to =
those
> who are interested in this possibility except try it for yourself and
> see.  You wouldn't put a very hard Renner hammer designed for a
> Boesendorfer

I do not agree with you...
I had my first factory training at B=F6sendorfer in Wien, and the=20
emphasis on my training there was voicing.
Their hammers are not "very hard", they are kind of medium hard, just=20
like most Renner hammers.
The B=F6sendorfer sound is not based on a rock hard hammer, as most=20
European technicians know, but it is a regular Renner hammer which they=20=

turn into a romantic hammer "with a core".
On the other hand, as far as making a 'characteristic sound', to me=20
personally it does not matter how hard a hammer is. If it is very hard,=20=

I'll 'bang' it down to the desired level. It is only a nuisance because=20=

it takes more muscle and more sweat.

> on a piano that would sound best with a Ronsen soft Bacon
> felt hammer--

B=F6sendorfer uses Renner hammers and have done so for a very long time.=20=

According to me, they have never bought Ronsen hammers nor Bacon felt=20
hammers.
They used to buy Weickert felt in the past, switched over to VFG felt=20
because the Weickert Filz factory was not able to produce during the=20
f!@!@$%^&* communist period and nothing more reasonable was available,=20=

and immediately switched again to Wurzen when that 'right felt' was=20
available again in the early nineties, like most European piano=20
factories and like Yamaha (for their concert grand, the CFIII-S).

> and there are many such examples out there.  A lengthy
> explanation as to why that might be is more than I am prepared to get
> into at this point but in as much as new soundboards require different
> types of hammers (think Yamaha hammers on a NY Steinway or vice versa)
> so will old ones.

> An old ugly Yamaha that probably sounded ok with a
> Yamaha hammer when it was new, may very well sound better with a =
softer
> Wurzen hammer

Wurzen hammers are not particularly soft David. It depends on the buyer=20=

who orders the hammers. Schimmel for instance wants rock hard hammers=20
because they have a machine to pre-voice their hammers.
If anyone buys a Renner Schimmel hammer set from da Renner shelf, that=20=

person will curse his bad luck because voicing down those hammers will=20=

take hours of again muscle and rivers of sweat. 'Our' Renner hammers=20
are not that granite hard, because we ask the Renner Company for a=20
'certain kind' of firmness or hardness.
The older Yamaha I was writing about last night was actually an older=20
Yamaha from the early seventies. The soundboard had not really lost any=20=

crown yet but the hammers were worn out completely, and so were the=20
strings.

If we had installed new Yamaha hammers (after restringing), it would=20
have sounded much better but the AA Wurzens gave it a whole new quality=20=

it had never known before.
A softer hammer, generally speaking, would have given it the sound of a=20=

"wet news paper".

> now that it's older and responding differently and tends
> to support my point.  The evidence is at least empirical whatever the
> science may or may not convince you of.  While a medium hammer may =
give
> the most flexibility to go either way on many pianos, there will be
> cases where hammers which fall at one end of the spectrum or the other
> will be the better fit.

I do not agree with you. A given soundboard has a 'certain'=20
personality, and the personality will always be the same, except that=20
the physical 'force' of that personality will diminish, just like with=20=

older people : their personality is intact but their physical strength=20=

has gone down over the years.
When the crown of an older soundboard had lost its major power, the=20
sound gets thinner and weaker, and with physical 'distortions', and=20
that is what we call 'older'. The character however is still there but=20=

maybe less 'predominant' and with the shortcomings of old age like=20
brittle bones, weaker organs, and alzheimers.
There are certain aspects that could 'amplify' that weaker personality,=20=

and those aspects are for instance new strings and/or new hammers.
Just amplifying that older 'personality'  actually creates the problem=20=

we, as technicians, always encounter because we just energize the voice=20=

of the old personality, but not the muscle and bone structure, so to=20
speak.
In other words : if we install a granite hard hammer on an old piano,=20
we give it a granite like loud old voice and if we install softer=20
hammers we hear a renewed but velvety old voice.
Through that voice we hear a more, or less, amplified personality, but=20=

also the amplified weaknesses of an older body. In yet more other words=20=

: installing new hammers is just a cosmetic operation. The eye lashes=20
maybe short or long, but unfortunately it is still very clear that this=20=

lovely old lady is ninety years old, whatever the well known possible=20
disguises.

There is however an other factor in play here :
As I explained before, there are soundboards (personalities) which=20
predominantly 'show' higher overtones. Bechstein soundboards are like=20
that : their treble section is usually rather brilliant, where their=20
bass section is usually 'under developed'.  In that case, when we=20
install new hammers (may they be hard or soft) we have to use a voicing=20=

technique where we put the emphasis on getting out the lower partials=20
as much as possible. With Steinways it is the opposite : not creating a=20=

hammer crown which causes the instrument to give more overtones is like=20=

putting a bag over the head : it sounds poorly.

Then there is the choice of hammers, or actually the choice of hammer=20
felt :
Roughly speaking we have the four major hammer felts we all know : the=20=

Wurzen predominantly used by Renner (about 90%), the VFG felt=20
predominantly used by Abel (about 90%), the Royal George felt (of late)=20=

we find on millions of Yamaha's, and the Bacon felt used primarily in=20
the USA.
All four felts are made of sheep's wool but have been fabricated in=20
different ways, and all four have totally different characteristics,=20
whether we like it or not.
They may resemble each other because they all come from sheep's wool,=20
but their manufacturing process is quite different. The difference is=20
what we hear, and that difference is what we choose. What makes this=20
difference an issue here, is that some felts are used mainly in the USA=20=

and some other felts (Royal george, Wurzen and VFG) are used all over=20
the world. In other words: we share a common felt experience and we=20
base our opinions and personal taste on this experience.
Personal taste is something we can not really discuss, well grounded=20
opinions are another matter and that is one of the difficulties here on=20=

this list : are we talking about personal taste or are we talking about=20=

scientifically based opinions?
The four felts I mentioned all have a different characteristic, despite=20=

their common material basis. The way these felts were made determine=20
their characteristics, and those characteristics are factual elements=20
we can determine and classify. The way these felts sound is a totally=20
different subject and that usually leads to misunderstanding and=20
unnecessary friction. It is not wise to discuss 'beauty' or 'ugliness'.

> As far as how long a hammer will last, unlacquered versus lacquered;=20=

> the
> issue seems to be how much lacquer and how it is applied.  A weak
> stiffening solution probably doesn't do much to effect the life of the
> hammer.  But since lacquer gets harder and more brittle over time, a
> heavily lacquered hammer will not last in terms of controllability as
> long as an unlacquered hammer, assuming it hasn't been needled to=20
> death.

To get down to the core of lacquered versus unlacquered is like this :=20=

a lacquered wool piano hammer has fibers which have been fused together=20=

into an almost (in varying degrees) unmovable non-elastic matter by a=20
binding force called hammer hardener.
This piano hammer consists of a wooden molding, a staple, and a mass of=20=

fibers which originally were resilient, with an elastic capacity which=20=

through the appliance of hammer hardening have clotted into an=20
non-resilient and un-elastic wool mass we can compare with a very sober=20=

palet (all this depending of how much hardener was used).

An unlacquered wool piano hammer has a natural resiliency (in varying=20
degrees) and this elastic force we can use in the process of=20
intonation. It is like the use of a multi colored palet (all this=20
depending of how much pressure was used).

Get this:

Crystallized or more or less non-resilient matter, like a felt covered=20=

(but hardened) drum stick, creates a 'certain' non-or- less-resilient=20
sound when we hit a drum with the emphasis on higher overtones. The=20
spectrum is poor because of the lack of resilience.
Non-crystallized or more or less resilient matter, like a (non=20
hardened) felt covered drum stick, creates a 'certain' more-or=20
less-resilient sound when we hit a drum with the emphasis on higher and=20=

lower overtones. The spectrum is rich because of the present=20
resilience.

That is literally the difference between a lacquered hammer and a non=20
lacquered hammer, and that is a fact.
Which hammer you like is not my business.

Andr=E9 Oorebeek