Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:17:45 +0100

As I've said before

What <<evidence>> are we talking about here.  Where is the
experimentation done to support this claim. I rather think this stems
more from the subjective opinion of technicians pre-disposed for
whatever reasons to arrive at this conclusion.

In any case find no compelling evidence that supports a claim that there
is some connection between a reasonably healthy soundboard and types of
hammers used. And I find this claim incompatable with previous claims
I've heard in other contexts that hammers of both sorts can be made to
achieve identical results. If that later was true in any sense of the
word then the former simply is not.

I wouldnt put a very hard Renner (or any other make) hammer on any
piano. High quality Wurzens of the sort today availble do not qualify as
hammers that are at all inappropriate or difficult to voice on any piano
at all. Period. Its absurd to try and argue otherwise as clearly these
are creating beautiful sounds.

I have an A from 1890 roughly.. The old hammers roughly follow a number
5 SW curve, and they were of the soft type that clearly had been
laquered. Ok... they were old and dead and not fair to compare... but
the new Renner Wurzen set I just installed and finished voicing brought
this piano so to thee degree to life. Amazed even me.  Now this is a
very old soundboard... and quite a weak one at that. Not much crown
left, a few cracks, and other to be expected weaknesses.  But the puppy
sounds amazingly good. SW 's are between a 7 and 8 curve.

What can I say... I offer only a contrasting experience and point of
iew, and an observation about an apparent self contradiction.  Not meant
to tick anyone off... just another bob in the pool for the greater
edification of the group. Of course each must find their own way. Goes
with out saying.

Cheers
RicB

David Love wrote:

> The evidence of different soundboards (and soundboards in various
> conditions) needing hammers of varying densities is so abundant in the
> piano circles that I run in that I don't even know what to say to those
> who are interested in this possibility except try it for yourself and
> see.  You wouldn't put a very hard Renner hammer designed for a
> Boesendorfer on a piano that would sound best with a Ronsen soft Bacon
> felt hammer--and there are many such examples out there.  ........

snip.