Glue, in the field

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 1 Oct 2004 08:13:03 -0700

Cy asked: "Joe,

What do you use in the field for a joint that needs to come apart in =3D
future, such as replacing a broken hammershank?

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV

Cy,
I use Cold Hide Glue, (Franklin's). However, there's a trick to getting =
it to set up fairly quickly: When I anticipate the gluing on of a hammer =
shank and/or hammer, I request a coffee mug half full of the hottest tap =
water, (approx. 110-120 degrees F). I carry a small bottle of Cold Hide =
glue, that will fit into the coffee mug. While I am doing the prep work, =
the glue is heating in the mug. By the time the prep work is done, the =
glue is hot...er..warm, I'd est. about 80-90 degrees. I've found that =
this will get the glue to set up much faster, so that I feel confident =
that the hammer won't go out of alignment, 10 minutes after I'm out the =
door! (Yikes! DAMHIK!!!<G>)
If I am gluing a hammer shank, using a straw splint, I use Titebond. =
(Now, I'll be using Titebond III). BTW, I don't like the Titebond =
container/tip size/configuration, so I empty an Elmer's white glue =
bottle, clean thoroughly and refill with Titebond. The reason being, =
that many times I need a very small orfice, (pinpoint, if you will), to =
force the glue into cracks. The Elmer's bottle will do that w/o =
"collapsing!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police