Evidence of overlacquered hammers

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:04:23 +0100

David and List

I must apologize for leting my self get provoked, tho I must say I see
no excuse for some of the language and personal slurs thrown at people
from time to time by a select few.  Still, it was not proper for me to
fire back in like kind, and I am indeed sorry for that much.

As to your post below...

I know about NY Steinway... and believe me I have no criticism for those
who choose to use lacquer. Jimmenees... how many times do I need to say
that if you are one of those that prefer that approach fine, and if you
are highly skilled you will no doubt get a pleasing result.

That said, I personally choose the other school. Why discussing the pros
and cons either way when such openly declared respect (from my part) for
the <<opposition>> as it were should be problematic is a mystery to me.

To your specific question below. I used to think the same thing.  But
experiences these last few years have changed my mind entirely. I
believe a properly needled hammer of appropriate quality will hold its
voice longest of all, and is very easy to maintain at that voice when
maintainance is needed.

None of this is really what the ...er.. discussion between David and I
was about tho. That went to claims about soundboard condition dictating
this or that kind of hammer. I dissagreed with several of statments made
as I understood their meaning, and I still do. Fair enough if you ask
me. Thats more or less the purpose of this forum... to throw ideas and
thoughts back and forth in a spirit of mutual respect.

But back to your point... what has brought you too that conclusion...
that voiced up hammers hold their voice longer ? And what explaination
do you think can account for that ?

Cheers,
RicB

David Ilvedson wrote:
> Boys, boys....come on, give us a break.
>
> Richard, it is common knowledge that NY Steinway hammers are soft to begin with.   Not necessarily mush balls...;-]

> NY Steinway brings the to ne up with hardener,ie.lacquer thinner as necessary.The vast majority of
hammermakers start hard