Evidence of Overlaquering of Hammers

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 08:58:50 +0100

Joe Garrett wrote:

> RicB said: "That said.. I will be the first to admit that those who
> have mastered
> the <<art>> of mushy hammers being laquered to tone accomplish something
> entirely different then the inexperienced tech with his bottles of
> keytops and acetone"
>
> Ric,
> I'd like to take exception to your comment(s).

Grin.. which one.. ? I rather thought that the above one was rather
complimentary towards those who use hardning agents.

>  I use Keytop/Acetone, in appropriate applications. Reason being, this
> solution stays soft and can easily be needled out. (of course this is
> dependent on what kind of keytop material you use!)
>  Laquer, by it's basic nature, is in a constant process of getting
> harder with age. (to the point of BRITTLE!) Keytop/actetone, used by
> an experienced voicer can be o.k. However, one needs to do your
> experimenting on your own stuff, first, before reeking havoc on
> clients pianos, IMO.<G> Also, I would agree that you, on the other
> continent,<G>, are dealing with an entirely different hammer. Sheesh!
> It'd be nice if we could get some consistancy, on this product. Also,
> I think that the consistancy thingee is coming together, when guys
> like Ray Negron take a chance on some of the good stuff offered in
> Europe. Halleluyah! I applaud that sort of forward thinking!!!

Dont forget I lived in the states for most of my early carreer years.
I have no real problem with folks who want to choose lacquer over
needling... I just dont choose that, and I state why.

I do react when we start making claims about soundboards <<dictating>>
this or that kind of hammer choice and then hear the same delegates turn
around and state that using hammers of any sort can achieve same or
extreeeeeemly similar results.  You cant have it both ways to begin
with... and where does this soundboard stuff come from in the first
place ???  Bring on the data... I'll read it !

Thanks Joe, as always I find your input very worthwhile.

RicB