Hammer Weight Graphing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:16:14 -0600

>I successfully opened your .xls file...  It works!

Hi David,
Sometimes, we get lucky... <G>

>The graph was hiding the data columns so I managed to put the graph on
>data sheet 2.

Wherever it works best for you. I had it where it was so I could see both
the sample weights, and the chart, at the same time.

>I also formatted the color of the Bottom Low, Top Low, Top Medium, and Top
>High curves in a different color for better visual reference.

Again, whatever works. I figured everyone who found this potentially useful
would have a different idea on how to present it. That's the beauty of
spreadsheets. We can customize to suit.

>I still use a DOS program that suits my needs just fine for my touch
>design work...  I'm no expert with excel but I'd love to know more....

Me either, but I'll try.

>Questions:
>
>If I want to use fewer data points such as note# 1,22,44,66,88 how do I
>change to that?

In Row 7, Column 20, you see the formula
    =cubspline(1,RC[-1],R7C2:R14C2,R7C3:R14C3)

change that to =cubspline(1,RC[-1],R7C2:R11C2,R7C3:R11C3), and fill down,
which means copying that formula down to all 88 entries in that column.
That changes the range where the sub routine looks for data.

Then change the note numbers in column 2, and hammer weights in column 3 to
the ones you want. The graph will update automatically, but you won't see
it happen BECAUSE YOU MOVED IT!

Like a lot of things, it's a lot easier to demonstrate than to describe.

>Visually comparing the spline points to the existing HW would be
>helpful.  I've inserted a column with existing hammer weights on the
>spreadsheet.  How do I get it onto the chart?

Highlight the data, copy it, and paste it into the graph. Then you can
right click on it and format the data series.

>My dream is to be able to click drag the spline points interactively on
>the chart to adjust the spline curve relative to the existing data and
>have the new spline points calculated after each click and drag.  Any
>ideas how that could be done?
>
>David Stanwood

You can. Drag one of the spline points up or down, and see what happens. It
displays the changed value, and asks you which cell to change to get that
value. You click on the appropriate data cell (in column 3), and it
updates. It's sort of cumbersome, but it does work.

Ron N