Rescaling for older soundboards

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:13:20 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2004 12:22:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
joegarrett@earthlink.net writes:

> David Love said: "I think that's backwards.  As boards get older they get
> stiffness
> challenged.  More loudness comes from being less stiff, lower impedance,
> more energy is absorbed by the board rather than reflected back, so
> louder and less sustain.........."
>  David,
> I think you are confusing stiffness with strength. As wood ages it gets
> stiffer and at the same time loses strength. Thus, the boards ability to fight
> off the energy decreases....as in sustain.<G> K?
>  Best Regards,
>  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
> Captain, Tool Police
> Squares R I

Greeetings,

         Stiffer, does that mean harder?  I was under the impression that as
wood ages it gets more (lets throwoah new word in here) ........brrittle.

       Brittle, to me, connotates a state of stiffness simultaneous with a
vunerabilty to breakage.  When I think of harder, I think of tougher, hardrer to
break. Old wood is easier to break, unless of course it's Oak. (Oak deserves
a capital O because it is so durable and seems to be the king of wood)

Julia,
Reading, PA