Mysterious Buzzing

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 14:52:40 -0600

At 14:24 11/20/2004, you wrote:
>Hello All: I need some help in tracing down a buzz in a Vose upright
>piano. The buzz in question shows up while playing F5, whichi is two notes
>down from the strut. I have done all the usual tests and corrections that
>I usuall rely on, such as looking for cracks in the sound board, pressing
>on ribs in search of loose glue joints, reseating the strings, smoothing
>down the V-bar, cleaning up the notching, and cursing under my breath. We
>also vacuumed out the cabinet inside and out. Any ideas? Thanks,
>Patrick C. Poulson
>Registered Piano Technician
>Piano Technicians Guild

Did you check for something behind/under the plate?  An air hose,
soundboard steel or tilting the piano and removing the bottom board might
be necessary to find/dislodge something there.   Been there, done that,
found partial factory drillbit...

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.